Check out the current reigning Schools in Africa (Nigeria) and the 2021 Who’s Who in the Management of Basic and Secondary Education. The awards were presented in Lagos Sheraton Hotel Ikeja on May 18, 2021 by the Lagos State Commissioner for Education, Mrs. Folasade Adefisayo. The awards were presented in Abuja Green Minds Hotel Limited, Utako on May 20, 2021 by the Federal Minister of State for Education, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba.
EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATION
Mrs Margaret Titilayo Solarin was born into the family of Ogunnaya on 13th October, 1962 in Ibadan. Mrs Solarin is married to Barr. Leke Solarin. They are blessed with children. She had her Basic and Secondary education in Oyo State, later proceeded to Ogun State College of Education School of Basic Studies, Ijebu-Ode, Ogun State where she got her Higher School Certificate (HSC) in July 1982. She gained admission into the prestigious University of Lagos where she studied Philosophy and graduated in the year 1985. She also bagged a Master’s Degree in Education (Early Childhood Education) in the year 2011 from Lagos State University.
ACADEMIC CAREER AND APPOINTMENTS
She paid her dues in the classroom as a classroom teacher at Nawair-Ud-Deen High School, Oyingbo and The Apostolic Church Grammar School, Ketu. She also worked as an Education Inspector for 6(Six) years at Somolu Area Office of Inspectorate Department. Served for 6(Six) years at Ministry of Education, Private Education and Special Programmes Department and also 8(Eight) years at Ministry of Education, Basic Education Services (BES) Department. In 2011, she was deployed to Education District V, Agboju as the Head of Department of Schools’ Administration, before her appointment as Tutor General / Permanent Secretary of Education District II in January 2014. In 2017 she was redeployed to Education District III also as Tutor General / Permanent Secretary and later moved to her current post as the Tutor General / Permanent Secretary of Education District I in August 2019.
- Create and monitor policies and procedures that promote a safe learning environment.
- Ensure and institute culture that encourages continuous improvements for teachers and students.
- Develop an environment that encourages open communication with colleagues, students and the entire community.
- First TG/PS in Education Districts to introduce Fitness Walk which is now being emulated by other Agencies and MDAs.
- District Sports Festival became more pronounced and richly celebrated during her tenure.
- First TG/PS to introduce Subject Teachers’ Association Day in Education Districts.
- First TG/PS to introduce Ayajo Day in Education Districts to commemorate Yoruba Language.
- Mentored the Principals in District II to produce the ‘Best Principal’ in Nigeria in 2016 (Mrs Ogunniyi, Principal, Oriwu Model Senior College, Ikorodu).
- Supervised and monitored teaching and learning in schools under her domain which earned such schools many laurels and awards.
- The Best Teacher and Best Civil Servant in Lagos State emerged under her tutelage in 2016.
- Progressive achievements of SSCE and BECE with good grades from 2014 to date.
Dr. (Mrs.) Ayandele is a serving Permanent Secretary in Lagos State, a seasoned Administrator, and a school improvement specialist with a demonstrated history working in educational management. Prior to her appointment as a Permanent Secretary in 2015, She served as the co-lead for the Lagos State School Improvement team, and as Director of Schools Administration, in Education District III, Ikoyi.
Dr. Ayandele, who is a multiple award winner, earned a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Educational Administration from the University of Lagos. Her behind-the-scenes contributions to youth empowerment has continued to set innumerable opportunities for young people to thrive. Dr. Ayandele’s introduction of initiatives, such as the first ever Lagos State Schools Model United Nations (LASS-MUN) and various professional training workshops designed to improve teachers’ competencies, have been crucial in accelerating the transformation of teaching and learning processes in Lagos State.
As a stickler for detail, her initiatives have been adopted state-wide, with many of her students and teachers winning multiple awards at state, national, and international competitions. Dr. Ayandele is a member of the Teachers Registration Council of Nigeria (TRCN), and a member of the Chartered Institute of Educational Management and Administration.