Surulere Secondary School which is situated at 31A Ladipo Labinjo Crescent was founded on the 26th September, 1980 with Mr V.K. Ogunyemi as the pioneer principal and 221 foundation students. By 2003, with the introduction of Senior and Junior Secondary Schools in Lagos, the school was split into two with the new name “Surulere Senior Secondary School” under the headship of Mrs. O.O. Carena.
To create a conducive environment for teaching and learning that fosters self-improvement and development of a child.
To provide different types of strategies, activities, and experiences for young people.
CORE VALUES: discipline, diligence and integrity. Student are groomed to be well rounded academically, morally, socially and spiritually
The school is known for academic excellence this is reflected in in our steady excellent performances in WASSCE result over the years.
Our unique achievement is not only on academic performances of the students, we also emphasize moral upright as prerequisite to sustain them in whatever academic pursuit or performances they have achieved or will achieve in the future. Our consistent effort and persuasion to uphold morality in all aspect of their lives yielded a positive result this year 2020. The students decided on their own to give their classes a befitting look with a beautiful touch of painting and decoration without the involvement of the school authority.
In the implementation of first session of boys conversation Café sponsored by Diamond Bank in conjunction with WARIF Women At Risk International Foundation in 2018/2019 session the school had significant results. The programme has been able to caution and change their mindset on inappropriate behavior, there is significant drop in activities such as drug and alcohol use, clubbing. Based on their active participation in the WARIF EDUCATIONAL SCHOOL PROGRAMME our students were invited to participate in fitness walk to campaign against violence against woman in January 2020.
Mentor and mentee programmer is also one of our unique achievements in the school. This is a programme where students are assigned to teachers for mentorship on their academic, moral, social and spiritual life, this programme made tremendous impact in the lives of student positively.
The role of critical thinking and problem solving skills which are part and parcel of our teaching and learning methods is also a great achievement to our success story; Critical thinking and problem solving are considered key skills for this uncertain future, especially considering how remote work seems to become more and more popular as the years go by. In the future, workers will be likely selected based on their ability to be independent from micro-managing and able to work with less supervision and even away from the office.
The school is presently having a population of five hundred and twenty students (520) with twenty-one (21) teachers and one (1) non-teaching staff under the headship of the principal Mrs. A.O. Aina.
1. The school won the best student in 2018 WAEC at District Merit award 2019.
2. The student who won the award Abdulwahab Mariam was celebrated both by the District and Lagos State ANCOPSS on their 33rd ANCOPSS CONGRESS at Alausa November 2019.
3. The school recorded (hundred percent) 100% in 2019 WAEC, scored 80.4% in the WASSCE 2017, 99.5% in 2016, 86.9% in 2015, 92.4 in 2014 and 90.2% in 2013.
4. Most of the students have secured admission in tertiary institutions of repute and they are all doing very well.
5. Most of our teachers were elevated from the position of class teacher to vice principal and vice principal to principal respectively.
6. The French students Ogunmola Tobilola andUgwuanyi Ifeyinwa participated in French competition organized by Nigerian Association of French Teachers on retirement ceremony of Mrs. Orakwe, Glory, took 4th position out of 15 schools that participated in February 2020.
7. The science students Mba Precious and Ibegbu Chiamaka participated in the science day competition organized by Eric Moore High School, took 3rd position out of 5 schools in February 2020.
AINA A.O. (Mrs.)